On April 16, 1970, Secretary General Leonid Brezhnev opened in Ulyanovsk the Memorial, built for the centenary of Lenin, and with it an unprecedented open-air museum of one man on a global scale, called the memorial zone. The Rodina Lenin brand in Soviet times brought Ulyanovsk to the seven cities in the world most frequently visited by tourists. During the year, the city received about a million people. In the eighties, queues of people wishing to get to the museums of the memorial zone curled in long tails along its central streets. The reserve served 40-50 tourist groups a day.
- The specificity of Ulyanovsk is that tourists were taken to our companies, and they prepared buses and guides. In fact, we have developed not a tourism business, but an excursion business, - says Vladislav Slepova, head of the tourism department of the Department for the Development of Entrepreneurship of the Government of the Ulyanovsk Region.
In the nineties, at the turn of the epochs, interest in the name of Lenin plummeted, the tourist flow to Ulyanovsk dried up. And local travel agencies, educated at the reception of those who traveled on their own, reoriented to outbound tourism and started selling someone else's tourist product.
Ulyanovsk's unclaimed excursion infrastructure gradually fell into decay: museums were dilapidated, professional guides were retiring ...
- Four years ago, when we started advertising tours for tour operators and travel agencies of the Volga region, it was very difficult to persuade them to come to us, - says Vladislav Slepova. - We were told: “What do you have to watch? Memorial? Lenin Museums? Who is interested in this now? " We suggested: come to us for two days, show the sights of the city and not say a word about Lenin during this time. On the second day, the guests themselves raised the Leninist theme. And they perceived it completely differently, having received information about the era through the prism of Simbirsk. For many, for example, it was a revelation that Kerensky was also born here.
Mikhail Segal, the head of the Samaraintour company, faced the same prejudice towards the city when five years ago he began negotiations with cruise companies to include excursions in Ulyanovsk in their plans.
- We said that we do not pretend to be the theme of "Ilyich's Homeland", in Ulyanovsk the theme of a provincial city is interesting, which is well represented by the Reserve, - says Mr. Segal. - Although there was a certain slyness in this. The topic "Ilyich's Homeland" may be of interest if it is covered in a slightly different way. We have imposed a moratorium on it so far. In Ulyanovsk, there is already a lot of interesting things - in the Volga region, in terms of the excursion potential, it has no equal: if all the museums from Astrakhan to Nizhny Novgorod are folded, then, perhaps, there will be as many as in Ulyanovsk. Or maybe not.
In 2003-2005, the Samaraintour company organized an excursion program for the ship groups based on materials from the History Museum of a Provincial City. She presented the Reserve as an open-air museum - a provincial town that has preserved its wooden historical buildings. In the context of this program, the figure of the leader of the world proletariat took a modest place in the galaxy of names associated with Simbirsk and glorified Russia: Goncharov, Aksakov, Karamzin, Yazykov, Davydov, Minaev, Yakovlev, Kurchatov, Filatov ... This list can be continued for a long time.
Tourism is developing slowly but surely in the Ulyanovsk region. Tourist routes are being created in the region, souvenirs are presented, tourist cooperation agreements are signed. In Ulyanovsk, as in any other city, there are iconic places and sights that cannot be passed by and not captured on a camera.
We have collected the most significant, reflecting the history of Ulyanovsk-Simbirka.
Of course, the main natural attraction in Ulyanovsk is Mother Volga, Nurse Volga, Beauty Volga.
The Volga, the largest river in Europe, originates near a small village in the Tver region with a stream 30 cm deep, and about in the middle of its long journey to the Caspian Sea it spills to its maximum width - 35-40 km. By the way, one of the widest parts of the Volga along its entire length is located just in the zone of our Undor and Staraya Maina. It is not surprising that people who come to our region, looking at its foggy horizon, call the Volga the sea. True, now the reservoir, on the banks of which Ulyanovsk and other cities and villages of the region are located, are not called a river by experts. After all, we do not live on the Volga River, but on the shore of the Kuibyshev reservoir - an artificially created reservoir filled with water in 1955-1957.
But nevertheless, the photos against the background of the Volga are always memorable.
An important sign that tourists were photographed against the background of the Volga in Ulyanovsk are two bridges connecting the two parts of the city. They must be in the photo.
The Imperial Bridge, which is also unofficially called the Freedom Bridge, Simbirsky or simply "old", was built during the reign of the last of the Russian emperors - Nicholas II - in 1913-1916. Initially, the bridge was exclusively railway and connected the Moscow-Kazan and Volga-Bugulma railways, and at that time it was considered the greatest in Europe. The idea of building a bridge was put forward by Minister P. A. Stolypin after his visit to Simbirsk in 1910. The first full name of the bridge is "Imperial of His Majesty Nicholas II" or Nikolaevsky. After the overthrow of the tsarist government, the bridge was renamed in 1917 as the "Freedom Bridge", hence the second name. The author of the project was N. Belelyubsky, he was also assisted by A. Pshenitsky, O. Maddison. More than 3.5 thousand specialists were involved in the construction.
In the 50s of the last century, due to the construction of the Kuibyshev reservoir and the hydroelectric power station, the level of the navigable horizon rose by 7-8 cm, which led to the need to strengthen the crossing and supports. In addition, at the same time, the automobile part of the bridge was added, where the railway traffic was transferred for the period of the bridge reconstruction. In 1958, traffic was opened on the automobile part of the Imperial Bridge.
The last major reconstruction was in 2003-2010.
In November 2009, a new Presidential Bridge was opened. Although “new” has significantly fewer names, and is only 7 years old, it already has a long and difficult history. Residents of Ulyanovsk remember the long construction process, including the period when several flights were “frozen” since the times of the USSR. The bridge has been under construction for 23 years.
Design began in 1980, the project was approved in 1988 by the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR. The estimated cost of the bridge was then 400 million rubles, and it was planned to complete the project in 9 years. Construction work began in 1986. As mentioned earlier, the first structure to be built was Tower # 14, completed in 1988, and the first superstructure dates back to 1992. Construction was suspended in 1995 for several years due to the cessation of federal funding.
We have been to Tver many times - and independently by car we came for the weekend, and with excursion tours for one day. The other day we returned from our club trip to Tver. We went on the route "Tver - Wedge" for the February holidays. Two days out of three were devoted to Tver. According to the program, this was our best trip to Tver. Moreover, more than half of what we saw was completely new for us. And now,