"Baigal Travel": love for tourism is forever
Travel company "Baigal Travel" is a young company in the market of domestic and inbound tourism in Buryatia and the Baikal region. Its head Vyacheslav Dmitriev decided to create his own business after 11 years of government service
- I have been associated with tourism for a very long time. In 1999, I received a diploma in tourism manager, this was the first graduation of tourism managers in Eastern Siberia, and after that I immediately started working at Buryatnefteprodukt OJSC as a public relations, media, advertising and tourism manager. My responsibilities included promoting the services of the recreation center "Enkhaluk". In fact, we were the first in Buryatia to start receiving high-ranking guests who made increased demands on all elements of the tourist product: room comfort, transport services, meals, excursion program. I developed special VIP programs for the management of YUKOS, the Moscow government, and Gazprom, who ordered helicopters, yachts, jeeping, fishing, and a bathhouse on the shores of Lake Baikal. Then, few people were engaged in such a format of service at the highest level, - Vyacheslav admits.
Vyacheslav Dmitriev has always had an active life position, he was engaged in rafting, mountain biking, hiking, mountain tourism. He conquered such peaks as the Belukha, Munku-Sardyk, Khamar-Daban mountains, rafted along the Selenga, Katun, and Turka rivers. That is, he literally knows Buryatia inside and out.
The accumulated experience had to be directed towards something more than working as a manager of a commercial company, and in 2003 Vyacheslav joined the civil service at the Republican Agency for Tourism.
- They were just beginning to talk about the development of tourism and the need to attract tourists, and I can note with satisfaction that much has been done to attract tourists in Buryatia with my direct participation. We created the first catalogs, booklets, presented Buryatia at various exhibitions, conducted study tours, special events to attract tourists. Gradually, I began to understand that I had already exhausted my resource in the civil service. I wanted to communicate more with people, work in the fields, for myself, so that the result depends on the efforts made, and not on the salary. Moreover, I met my beloved woman, a son was born. I needed more free time for my family. Well, there are more funds, - says the former official.
An avid tourist with civil service experience decided to do what he does best and opened a travel agency.
- First of all, I firmly decided for myself that I would only work on inbound tourism - to meet guests in Buryatia. I analyzed all the pros and cons and started collecting documents. Why is the tourism business good? The fact that here the initial capital is not required so much. I developed a business plan, applied to the employment center for an entrepreneurship competition and won a small amount, which I spent on registering a legal entity (LLC), purchasing office equipment, office furniture, rented an office in a hotel, the entrepreneur lists.
After registering an LLC, the first thing a novice businessman applied for was included in the federal register of tour operators. Since inclusion in the register is the main indicator of the security of services and the reliability of the company. To do this, it was necessary to insure his obligations to future clients, which he did.
- The main limiting factor in the tourist business of Buryatia is that the tourist season does not last long. Basically, everyone travels in the summer - from mid-June to September. At first, there were not many applications. But the opening of my business coincided with an economic and political environment conducive to the development of domestic and inbound tourism. A course was taken on import substitution, the exchange rate difference in currencies reduced the number of tourists and attracted tourists from Mongolia and China to us, and the Russians began to relax in the regions of Russia. To begin with, I went through all my acquaintances, sent out an electronic business card, told about my new role as an entrepreneur on my Facebook page. And even took part in the largest Russian exhibition of the travel industry "Intourmarket". I also passed the accreditation of a tour guide, and little by little they began to attract me first to conduct excursions, then requests for a comprehensive service began to appear, '' says Vyacheslav.
For tourism, personal connections and charm mean a lot, since tourism is, first of all, emotions. Vyacheslav Dmitriev is rightfully considered a person with a broad Baikal soul. Tourists leave in awe of their tour organizer, who not only clearly organizes everything according to the program, but also knows many legends and legends about Buryatia, plays the guitar, and has a good sense of humor.
- At first I worked alone. My wife, who teaches English, helped me a lot. Translation into English of all materials is very important for presentation to foreign tourists. It is she who is in correspondence with foreigners. This summer I had several foreign groups from China, Taiwan, Czech Republic, Holland, Turkey, individual tourists came from Portugal, the USA and even Zimbabwe. In the summer high season, I hire guides, translators, drivers, and a manager helps me in the office. If in the summer I directly accept groups, organize transfers, accommodation, excursion services, in the winter I am engaged in processing applications for the spring-summer. I sell vouchers to Lake Baikal for local residents, I serve small corporate groups that are increasingly holding team buildings, business events on Lake Baikal, I conduct sightseeing and thematic excursions for schoolchildren. For two years in a row, with a partner from Moscow, "Mikhail Kozhukhov's Travel Club", he organized a 9-day tour "Lunar New Year at Lake Baikal".
Two belts - two paths
Mongolia and Buryatia are tying the Silk Road economic belt promoted by China to Russia. As reported by the "Voice of Mongolia" agency, the exhibition area of the fair this year amounted to 70 thousand square meters. meters, among the participants of such a grand fair are Japan, the Republic of Korea, the USA, Russia. As conceived by the authors of the "Great Tea Route" route, which is presented in China as part of an ambitious project to create an economic belt and the Chinese concept "One Belt - One Road".
"Sharing tourism resources will allow tourism along the tea route, tourism on three lakes - Mongolian Lake Khuvsgul, Russian Lake Baikal and Lake Dalainor in Inner Mongolia.
At the moment, Mongolia, China and Russia have already begun to popularize tourism along the "Great Tea Road", comprehensively launched cross-border tourism cooperation, docked the economic belt of the Chinese "Silk Road" with the Trans-Eurasian Railway of Russia and the steppe routes of Mongolia , created an economic corridor between the three countries, "the Voice of Mongolia reported.
As you know, the capital of the overland "Tea Route" along which this Asian drink got to Europe (the British in the 18-19 centuries brought tea from India and China by sea) was the Russian city of Kyakhta on the border of China and Russia on the territory of modern Buryatia. From there, tea, which was known in China for about 5 thousand years, was transported in large caravans and carts to Verkhneudinsk (now Ulan-Ude) to the famous Verkhneudinsk fair, then from there it was delivered by sled roads through the frozen Baikal to Irkutsk and further west to the borders of the Russian Empire with the countries of Europe.
We offer a short history of the development of the "Tea Way" in Buryatia and how this process influenced the popularity of local place names in Europe and the world. This story is presented in a popular science article by Tuyana Dorzhieva, a "document expert" at the Center for Strategic Oriental Studies of the Belarusian State University.
"The tea path, which from the middle of the 18th century to the beginning of the 19th century, provided Russian-Chinese trade relations, is not accidentally called by historians" great. "This is a path that played a huge role in the formation of Buryatia as a cultural, industrial , a politically and socially developed region of Russia.
It is with the formation of the Tea Route that trade relations between the three countries - Russia, Mongolia and China - begin to actively develop. This was the first and only road at that time along which the Russian-Chinese-Mongolian trade was carried out.
There is a beautiful mountain range in Buryatia, which is called the Tunkinsky Goltsy or the Tunkinsky Alps, along this watershed the border of two large municipal districts of the republic, Tunkinsky and Okinsky, has passed. This small mountain arc along the left bank of the Irkut is the eastern spur of the Eastern Sayan.
The length of the Tunkinsky mountain ridge stretching in the latitudinal direction is 160 km with a relatively small width of 10 to 25 km, it is located where the Irkut turns its current from the north to the southeast of the mountain node Munku-Sardyk to the small mane Saram and the Duguisin massif.
The southern slope of the Tunkinskiy goltsy descends into the Tunkinskaya depression, and the northern slopes are strongly dissected by weathering processes and are directed towards the Kitoya river valley. It is the northern spurs in the relief that are separated into separate structures and bear their own names Shumakskie Goltsy and Bilyutskie Goltsy.
At the heart of the tectonic structure of the Tunkinsky chars are Precambrian cores surrounded by structures of ancient Baikal and Caledonian tectogenesis. The most ancient morphostructures were repeatedly destroyed and rejuvenated in the course of geological time, ascended with new tectonic movements. In the Neogene and Quaternary times, the latest tectonic movements caused the depression of the basins and the uplift of mountain ranges with elevated surfaces of alignment.
The geology of the Tunkinskiye Goltsy is represented by the most ancient volcanic rocks, granites and schists, gneiss and quartzites, metamorphosed to a crystalline structure, marbles and amphibolites. In the relief of the mountain range, mainly mid-mountain dissected forms. In the upper ridgeline part of the mountain range, forms of alpine-type relief are observed. The height of the peaks in the massif reaches from three to three and a half thousand meters. The highest peak in Tunkinskiye Goltsy is Strelnikov Peak with a height of 3284 meters.
To the 250th anniversary of the famous explorer of Siberia G. Shelekhov, by a special decision of the Committee of Geodesy of Russia, officially assigned the name of Shelekhov Peak to one of the peaks in Tunkinskiye Goltsy with a height of 2811 meters. In June 1997, a personal memorial sign was installed on its top.
The Tunkinskaya and the nearest Kitoiskaya Goltsy are part of the orographic structure of the vast Central Plateau in the Eastern Sayan to the west of Lake Baikal. The mountain ranges of the Tunkinskiye Goltsy, with their characteristic pronounced alpine features, are deeply dissected by erosional glacial processes. Everywhere they are covered with rocky outcrops and extensive kurums.
The lowest part of the mountain system is the Irkut river valley with an absolute height of about 500 meters. The mountains break off into this river valley with a clearly visible high ledge. The rivers of the region are shallow mountainous, have a rapid current, flow through narrow canyon-like valleys, forming many waterfalls.
The climatic conditions in the Tunkinskiye Goltsy are rather harsh, sharply continental. The mountain system is located in the center of the continent, at significant heights, far from the climate-softening influence of the oceans and seas. Winter in Tunkinskiye Goltsy is long, frosty with an average January temperature of -20 ° C and an absolute temperature of -54 ° C. A harsh winter in a mountainous country with little snow and windless.
In winter, there is an abundance of sunny clear days in this area. A fairly high level of radiation from the sun causes snow to melt even at low temperatures, and already in February the southern slopes of the Tunkinskaya Goltsy and the Tunkinskaya depression can be free of snow.
The Republic of Buryatia is located in Eastern Siberia.
Buryatia is very interesting for its history and culture. On its territory, two traditions are combined - Eastern and European, each of which is unique. In Buryatia, these traditions are tightly intertwined, as are the fate of the peoples who consider this land their ancestral home and who came here from other places. The Buryat lands remember the great Xiongnu nomads, the powerful warriors of Genghis Khan, the courageous defenders of the borders of Russia - the Trans-Baikal Cossacks.
The cultural values of the Mongolian world, to which it always belonged, have been preserved in Buryatia, while many values were born on the Buryat land. It remained in the minds of the people, their way of life, art. Thanks to this, a special attitude to the past has been preserved here, which has not gone without leaving a trace, many of its features have become modernity.
Buryatia is located in the very center of Asia, on the eastern coast of Lake Baikal, next to Mongolia.
Borders with Tyva in the west, Irkutsk region in the north-west, Trans-Baikal Territory in the east. Has a federal border with Mongolia in the south.
The distance by rail from the capital of Buryatia, Ulan-Ude, to Moscow is 5519 km, to the Pacific Ocean - 3500 km, to Lake Baikal - 130 km, to the border with Mongolia - 234 km.
The area of Buryatia is 351.3 thousand km². For comparison: four Austria or seventeen Israel will fit within the borders of the republic.
There are many amazing and unique places in Buryatia. All landscapes of Eurasia meet here: mountains, taiga, steppes, tundra, desert, plain. Having visited these places, the famous Russian writer A. Chekhov described Buryatia as follows: “The Selenga is sheer beauty, in Transbaikalia I found everything I wanted: the Caucasus, the Psla valley, the Zvenigorod district, and the Don. During the day you gallop across the Caucasus, at night on the Don steppe, and in the morning you wake up from a nap, and look - already Poltava province, and so the whole thousand miles. "
Nature has generously awarded Buryatia with healing resources. There are 303 mineral springs and 55 mineral lakes in the republic, located in different regions. Local residents call the water springs "arshans", which in translation from the Buryat language means "healing water". Arshans are revered as sacred places.
November 23, 2020 | Oksana SokharevaFestival "On a visit to the dinosaur" (Chebulinsky district) annually brings together guests and craftsmen from all over Siberia. Due to the coronavirus, this year, such a large-scale holiday, as usual, was not held. Photo by the author. Russia has begun to develop a new national project to support domestic tourism. Russian President Vladimir Putin approved this initiative, about this [...]
Tours to the Tien Shan ski resorts: Amirsoy (Chimgan mountains, Uzbekistan), Karakol ski base (Kyrgyzstan). Description and photos of ski slopes, cable cars and slopes, maps and schemes.