Tourist backpacks are a large class of backpacks, which, depending on the volume and purpose, are divided into groups:
These are backpacks with a volume of 75 liters or more, designed to carry heavy things and equipment. Backpacks of this category satisfy the operating conditions for long autonomous hikes and are popular, first of all, among mountain tourists. In modern models of such backpacks, manufacturers build in additional rigidity and use technologies for anatomical back support. These systems help you not feel fatigue in your muscles, even after long transitions. The structural reinforcement of such backpacks affects their weight. But every year, with the development of technology, such backpacks are becoming easier.
Backpacks between 50 and 80 liters, designed for medium hikes, fall into this category. And this is one of the broadest categories. In such backpacks, a wide variety of harness systems and structures of anatomical back protection are used. Manufacturers are constantly competing in their manufacturability (there are even frames using wood). Tourist backpacks are designed for hiking and mountain tourism enthusiasts and for carrying medium-weight loads.
The volume of modern trekking backpacks varies from 20 to 50 liters. Backpacks in this category are usually used for easy day trips or shelter-to-shelter transitions. With these travel options, you don't need a tent or camping gear. The main function of a trekking backpack is to accommodate spare clothes, a thermos, a snack, a camera, a first aid kit and some little things.
This is a separate category of backpacks with a volume of up to 55 liters, intended for mountaineering ascents. Backpacks in this category are very similar to trekking backpacks. A significant difference between mountaineering backpacks is the ability to attach special equipment to the outside of the backpack, such as ice axes, crampons, rope, borax, etc.
The type of backpack and the choice of its volume depends on your tourist activity and its duration. If everything is clear with the type of activity, then to determine the volume of the backpack, use the advice:
Backpacks have long become a constant companion of man in travel, hiking, expeditions. Manufacturers are constantly improving their models, making them more comfortable, reliable and roomy. On sale you can see a huge number of varieties of backpacks designed for a variety of purposes. How to understand them and how to understand which model will be more suitable in this or that case?
All modern backpacks fall into three broad categories. They are:
The first option represents models without rigid elements with different sizes. These are kind of bags that can be completely rolled up when empty. These backpacks are lightweight, but you need to put things in them very carefully. Otherwise, the center of gravity will shift, the structure will ride along the back and quickly cause an ache in the lower back.
Wireframes are by far the most common. They are equipped with plastic or duralumin tires, which can be removable or sewn into the back wall. The frame has an anatomical shape and fits comfortably to the back, relieving stress from the spine.
Easel models are equipped with an external frame, complemented by shoulder straps and a belt. You can attach a backpack, a large bag, some kind of load to them. The structures are designed for hiking, long-distance expeditions and allow you to carry a large amount of things. On sale there are frames with the ability to install wheels. The result is a cart that rolls easily on a flat surface. Backpacks-chairs also belong to the easel models, allowing you to comfortably settle down and relax on a long journey.
Modern backpack models differ in purpose. The lines include:
• Expeditionary types. These are large backpacks with a volume of 60 liters and more, capable of accommodating tents, sleeping bags, things and a supply of food needed for multi-day hikes. They are made of dense waterproof materials, equipped with wide waist belts, compression straps, have an effective back ventilation system, and a comfortable adjustable suspension.
• Tactical backpacks. They were originally intended for military purposes. Now the models are actively used by fishermen, hunters, fans of secluded outdoor recreation. They are complemented by pouches, can have two large main compartments and allow you to carry boxes of bait, change clothes, a gun, a bandolier.
• Travel backpacks. They are trekking and camping. Trekking models are designed for hiking, cycling, camping - for long road trips. Products have a wide functionality, are equipped with all kinds of mounts, chest and waist belts, have large pockets for carrying camping equipment. In the tourist lines, there are backpacks for hunting and fishing with designs that allow you to transport fishing equipment, cartridges, prey or catch.
• Sports backpacks. These include cycling, skiing, small training, running, skating, skating, snowboarding. Backpacks are equipped with compression straps, a strap system, have compartments for a hydrator or outlet for it, mounts for sports equipment, bottle pockets.
• Climbing backpacks. These are models for mountain climbing with a developed harness and light weight. They can withstand heavy rainfall and are complemented by attachments for an ice ax, helmet, bowler hat, SOS tags, reflective tapes, radio compartments, identification panel.
The number of joggers not on asphalt or on treadmills, but on forests, fields and mountain trails is growing at an unimaginable pace. In addition to sturdy trail running shoes, lightweight clothing and energy nourishment, a trail runner needs a dedicated backpack. In this article, Elbrus World Race winner Irina Safronova tells what to look for when choosing a backpack for trail, ultra marathon, skyrunning, rogaining and other running activities.
Director of the AlpIndustria store at TVK SportHit. MS in sports tourism, CCM in mountaineering (skyrunning), 1 category in orienteering and athletics. World rogaining champion, two-time winner of the Elbrus World Race (at distances of 112 km and 59 km), prize-winner of adventure races of the world series (Sweden, France), winner and prize-winner of mountain ultramarathons (Spain, Poland, Germany, Russia).
Why do we single out backpacks for trail running, skyrunning and other running activities among all the rest? It would seem that any small backpack will do just fine. But it's not that simple.
It is immediately clear that on the run, each gram has a special meaning, especially if you are running for results. Minimum weight is one of the primary requirements for all running gear, especially a backpack. Relief technologies are actively developing, and now 300 g is unforgivably heavy, because there are models lighter than 100 g.
On the run, it is important that the backpack fits snugly and does not fidget on the back. Constant movements, shaking, jumping off - if the backpack does not merge with the body and does not repeat these movements with you, like tight-fitting clothes, then rubbing and additional stress on the psyche are inevitable. And it is much more difficult to control the balance in technical areas when you have an element that has its own life on it. Therefore, the modern version looks more like a vest than a classic backpack.
During intense exercise, much more fluid is consumed, and its replenishment is one of the key points for effectively overcoming distance and health in general. To drink on the run, you can use a hydrator (drinking system): a special reservoir is placed inside the backpack, behind the back, and the drinking tube is led out to the shoulder strap. If regular fluid replenishment is foreseen by the route, as in most modern trails, two flasks placed at the front are sufficient. This option helps to save on the weight of the fluid to be carried, although the hydrator may not be completely filled. The main saving is time for refueling. The most advanced versions of the model's backpacks have pockets for soft flasks.
In an ideal world, you put on your backpack before the start of the trail and take off after the finish, because everything you need on a distance can be reached and removed without removing your backpack. Competent location, number and size of pockets is what manufacturers and users pay attention to. Power supply for 20 hours + every useful little thing is always at hand in the literal sense: in the front and side pockets. Behind there are things for emergencies, sudden changes in weather conditions or the onset of darkness. Plenty of well-positioned pockets in the front and side contribute to your comfort, which is always nice, but especially important when running for results.
A backpack is an essential thing in a hike. 80% of your comfort depends on the right choice. We will tell you by what criteria to choose a backpack.
So, you are going on your first hiking trip, and you are faced with the question of which backpack to choose. An experienced tourist will say that the most important criterion is volume. We figure out how to find the optimal capacity:
The duration of the hike. For a weekend, a backpack with a volume of 50 - 60 liters is suitable. It is also useful for a three-day trekking on flat terrain. On a hiking trip lasting from a week to 10 days on the plains or low mountains (Khibiny, Crimea, Arkhyz), take a backpack of 70 - 80 liters. And for a sports mountain trip to the Caucasus, choose a model for 80 - 90 liters.
Gender. Travel backpacks for men and women differ in volume. A backpack with a capacity of 60 to 70 liters is suitable for a girl for a week's hike on the plain or low mountains. For longer journeys on foot - 65 - 80 liters.
Trekking conditions. You are walking in an organized group - consider the need to carry general equipment. For this, 1/3 of your backpack must be empty. If you plan to live in guest houses, the amount of equipment will decrease, and you will need a smaller bag capacity. On average, it will decrease by 10 liters.
An important point when packing for a hike, a critical attitude to the number of personal belongings. So a summer trip to the banks of a river or lake will allow you to take significantly less clothes. After all, you can wash socks, T-shirts, linen in the pond.
Having decided on the approximate volume of the backpack - we proceed to the choice of its design. Your comfort will depend on it, how tired your back and shoulders will be.
There are three types of backpacks:
Having decided on the type of backrest, let's move on to the harness system. Wide, soft straps provide 80% comfort. They should not bump into the body, slide. It is important that they fit easily to your specifications when the weighted backpack is worn on your back.
When planning to buy a backpack for hunting and fishing, you need to choose a model that will not only match in volume, but also in design features, while it will be comfortable and will not hinder your movements. A backpack, which is taken for fishing or hunting, should contain everything you need - not only equipment, but also change of clothes and the required supply of food. In addition, there are some other requirements that apply to products, in particular to those that are classified in the category of hunting backpacks.
Backpacks for fishing and hunting are divided into the following types:
1. Soft - this group also includes the so-called "ciders". The products are lightweight, frameless, and when folded take up a minimum of space. The capacity is different. But such backpacks-bags have a drawback - when fully loaded, they put a lot of pressure on the shoulders, objects in them periodically shift, and some of the objects put inside can rest on the back, adding inconvenience. To eliminate this minus, you can put a tourist mat inside, which will give the backpack its shape, but in return will take up a lot of space.
2. Semi-rigid - the best type of backpack for hunting and fishing, they are relatively light, but they keep their shape well and do not overload the shoulders. The back of the described models is often anatomical, sometimes there are removable inserts that increase its rigidity, they are made of plastic or metal. The straps are wide and soft, often with adjustable waist and chest straps. There are also straps to reduce the volume of the backpack in the event of an incomplete load of the product.
3. Rigid - a metal frame is provided in the design, it can be unfastened if necessary. The main advantage of the described models is the uniform distribution of the load over the body. These backpacks are roomy and comfortable in the case of long "outings" for hunting and fishing. But, frame products have a drawback - they weigh a lot, and the material, which, in constant contact with the metal base, will quickly wear out.
A separate category is transformer backpacks, they include those products that can be turned into a chair, bag, tent. But, these models often lose to classic backpacks, since they have more weight. Although, much depends on the type of activity, if during hunting or fishing they do not plan to move a lot, but will be in approximately the same zone, then the products described are a good option.
When you plan to buy a backpack for hunting or fishing - a male model or a universal model, you need to take into account the requirements that apply to the products. The best backpacks that hunters often take are:
1. NorfinTactic 35 is a 35-liter model from a Latvian manufacturer. The backpack weighs 1.4 kg, its dimensions (HxWxD) are 48x40x17 cm. The product has many compartments and pockets, on the back there are fasteners for hanging pouches. The belts are wide, the back is anatomical, lined with mesh "breathable" material, which ensures good air circulation between the body and the backpack. There is room for a drinking system.
2. Alloy PM3 35 is a tactical model of domestic production with a capacity of 35 liters. The product weighs 1.25 kg, dimensions (HxWxD) 55x31x18 cm. The straps are wide, with soft inserts, the back is multi-layered anatomical, made of "breathing" materials. There are enough pockets, fasteners for pouches are provided. There are tightenings.
Elon Musk's SpaceX became the first private firm to send astronauts into orbit. How did the businessman manage to achieve such success and why are subordinates not always happy with him?