One of the main points on our journey was a visit to the Dolozhskaya cave. Dolozhskaya cave is a sacred place for every Orthodox believer. Thousands of pilgrims visit it every year.
In order not to pass by, we inform you of the main landmark - a wooden cross on the right side of the road, in front of which you need to turn onto a dirt road. The Beginning of Our Church Trip: Part 1
Not far from the turn, we found an empty summer camp. It is not clear who was here: pilgrims, just tourists, or some kind of patriotic gathering took place here.
Further, the road took us to the bank of the Dolgaya River, where a water mill was once located. There is not a trace of the mill, except for 3 huge millstones.
The dimensions of the millstones are impressive.
In the background is a recently built log church.
Along the log thrown across the river channel, we move to the island ...
. where we admire the seething rapids of the Dolgaya River.
The new church in all its glory. Unfortunately, it was not possible to get inside - the massive metal door was locked.
One of the most remote corners of the Leningrad region - the village of Hotnezha, located on the outskirts of the Volosovsky district, has long been calling us on a journey. Photos of a dilapidated church excited our imaginations and souls. And as it was written by one of the well-known local historians in narrow circles, this place in the Leningrad region belongs to the "must-see" category. Well, since "must-see", then it's time to get ready for the road! And the way was not short - more than 150 km, one way and about 2.5 hours, according to the navigator. Why so long? It turned out that part of the path will pass along a dirt road full of pits and bumps.
The first unplanned stop on our way was a church in the village of Dyatlitsy. We almost flew it, but in time it was decided to stop. Since our expedition is "church" (the main goal is the church in the village of Hotnezha), then, as they say, "God himself ordered" to inspect other historical and religious buildings.
A bit of history: The Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos was built in 1775 with the money of the owner of these lands, Count K. Razumovsky. The reason for the construction of the temple is rather prosaic - the old, wooden temple burned down during a fire. And the first mentions of the church at this place date back to 1500. By the end of the 19th century, the beautiful and majestic temple united 21 villages and more than 4,000 people in its parish. After the revolution of 1917, the fate of the temple was a foregone conclusion: in 1937 the abbot Pavel Petrov was shot for "anti-Soviet propaganda", and in 1939 the church was closed. By the beginning of the 21st century, the temple, which had gone through the hardships of the Great Patriotic War, open to all winds and snows, was practically in ruins. By some miracle, the collapse of the pediments and colonnades did not occur. In 2009, the temple was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church. Currently, there is a sluggish restoration work, exclusively funded by parishioners and private donations.
A temporary roof was erected over the temple, windows and doors were installed. At least somehow, but the perimeter of the building was closed from bad weather.
It can be seen that there are not enough funds for the restoration of the temple. The Church of the Intercession in Dyatlitsy is in disrepair.
Strengthening the basement of the temple foundation.
Old advertising banners of commercial organizations are stretched over the roof frame. Here she is helping businesses in the restoration of the temple.
The Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos in Dyatlitsy asks for help in restoring the church. For caring people, we give a link to the official group of the temple in the social. Vkontakte network: . om/hram_pokrova_diatlitcy Father Daniel, the rector of the church, is in charge of all matters related to the restoration of the church. By the way, why is this banner at the back of the temple and not along a busy road?
An artistic sketch that gives hope for the restoration of the temple. And finally, about Count Razumovsky, about the very one on whose money the temple was built. Whoever he was: hetman of the Zaporizhzhya Army, Field Marshal of the Russian Army, and for more than 50 years was the president of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Is it solid? Just imagine, at the age of 16, Kirill Razumovsky headed the Academy of Sciences! How? Very simple. All thanks to the elder brother Alexei, a church choir singer and the son of a simple Ukrainian Cossack named Rozum. Fate favored the young man, Alexei was taken to Petersburg for his beautiful voice, to sing in the court choir. Soon the young man was noticed by the Empress Elizaveta Petrovna herself and soon made her a favorite. Alexei, in turn, dragged his entire family of Rozumov to St. Petersburg, who later received the noble surname of the Razumovsky. This is how one could become president of the Academy of Sciences in Russia at the age of 16.
Our next stop is the Finnish Lutheran church in the village of Gubanitsy.
St. Petersburg owes its multinational diversity to its artificial origin - builders, scientists and artisans flocked here from different cities and countries, gradually settling in a place that was almost deserted quite recently. The Leningrad Region is another matter. Here, most of the cities and settlements have a centuries-old history, echoes of which have been preserved even in the names: Vyborg, Tosno, Sertolovo. The Day of Indigenous Peoples, which has been celebrated in different countries on August 9 since 1994 at the initiative of the UN, is filled with special significance for the Leningrad Region.
As told to the SPB correspondent. IF. U Adviser to the Governor of the Leningrad Region on religious issues Vyacheslav Sanin, the disappearing nationalities of the region today can be counted on one hand. “Of course, almost all of them belong to the Finno-Ugric group - we owe this to our neighborhood with Karelia and Finland. There are very few representatives of the Vod and Izhora peoples left. Slightly more - Vepsians, Tikhvin Karelians and Ingrian Finns, - he explained. - It is likely that in fact there are more representatives of these peoples than is reflected in the statistics, but many do not fully associate themselves with their nationality due to low ethnic self-esteem or lack of information about their own ancestors. This is one of the problems that we have to solve with the help of educational and museum work, as well as folklore festivals that are held every year. "
The population of the Leningrad Region exceeds 1.7 million people, 141 out of 193 Russian nationalities are represented in the region. According to the 2010 All-Russian Population Census, 92.7% of the region's residents consider themselves Russian, 2% - Ukrainians, 1.1% - Belarusians. There are significantly fewer representatives of small peoples than, say, Roma, Finns or Uzbeks. For example, 169 people - 0.01% of the respondents called themselves Izhorians, 1380 people (0.1%) - Vepsians, and only 33 people (0.002%) - Vozhans.
By the way, in the Leningrad region, half of all representatives of the void in Russia are concentrated. Another 26 leaders live in St. Petersburg and five people in other cities. Meanwhile, at the beginning of the 18th century there were 13,672 vozhans in Russia, in 1848 there were 5148, in 1926 - 705, and in 2002 - 73. The situation is approximately the same with the Vepsians and Izhorians.
Vozhany of the Leningrad region are concentrated in the Kingisepp district, in the villages of Luzhitsa and Krakolye (considered a quarter of the Ust-Luga village). Some even know Votic, which is a bit similar to Estonian and is listed in the Endangered Languages Red List. In the annals, this nationality has been mentioned since 1069. Vod gave the name to the Vodskaya pyatina of the Novgorod land, located between the rivers Volkhov and Luga. This year, for the first time, a self-instruction manual for the Votic language was published, published by a Moscow enthusiast.
Vepsians live in Russia in three separate groups between Ladoga, Onega and White lakes: on the southwestern coast of Lake Onega (the former Vepsian national volost of the Republic of Karelia), in the adjacent districts of the Leningrad region (Podporozhsky, Lodeynopolsky, Tikhvinsky and Boksitogorsky) and northwestern areas of the Vologda (Babaevsky and Vytegorsky) regions. In the Leningrad region, they are concentrated in Vinnitsa, Voznesensky, Radogoschinsky, Alekhovschinsky and Pashozersky rural settlements. According to the 2002 census, there were 2019 people in the Leningrad region, and by 2010 there were 1380 people left. In 1937, the Vepsians were affected by the Stalinist terror: any activity related to Vepsian culture was prohibited, Vepsian schools were closed, the publication of books was stopped, textbooks were burned, repressions fell on the Vepsians. Vepsian speakers are now almost without exception bilingual.
One of the largest centers of culture of small peoples in the Leningrad region is the Izhora Museum in the village of Vistino, which opened in 1993. Here are collected unique objects of culture and everyday life of the Soikin Izhorians of the 20th century. The Izhora song group Rybachka operates at the club in the village of Vistino, and in the club in the village of Gorki there is the ensemble Shoikulan laulut (Soykin tunes). Since 2003, every summer Izhora culture holidays have been held on the Soykinsky peninsula. In 2006, a mobile “Museum of the Indigenous Peoples of the St. Petersburg Land” was opened, telling about the history and culture of Izhorians. The museum was presented at the Kunstkamera and shows the exposition in many villages and cities of the Leningrad region. The folklore group "Korpi" has been working for more than 10 years, in which the Izhorians sing. She has released several professional discs ("Inkerin kaiku", "A Day in Krakolye") and performed dozens of times at festivals.
You can get acquainted with the history of Vepsians in the Center of Vepsian folklore (Vinnitsa village), in the Podporozhye Museum of Local Lore. There, every summer since 1989, the "Tree of Life" holiday has been held, which attracts Vepsians, Russians, Karelians, Izhora, residents of the surrounding areas of other nationalities. This year it took place in mid-July. The festival hosts national dance, costume contests, and the Vepsian beauty contest. In addition, on the basis of the Institute of the Peoples of the North at the Pedagogical University. Herzen organized training in the Vepsian language.
Several operating monasteries of the Leningrad region are ready to receive people on their territory to get acquainted with the life of the saints, miraculous relics. Not only the wealth of nature conquers the hearts of people on this earth, but also Christian shrines, which have been worshiped by Christians all over the world for more than one hundred years. All this is kept and guarded on the territory of monasteries in Russia.
Existing monasteries, including those in the Leningrad Region, accept visitors, but before arriving there, it is important to set a goal: a short visit to see the sights or live a long time.
The monastery began its history on the island of Konevets (XIV century) in Lake Ladoga. The main population of the island was Karelian-pagans, whose object of worship was a huge boulder, similar in shape to the head of a horse.
In 1393 the Monk Arseny Konevsky laid the foundation of the monastery. His main desire was the conversion of the pagans to the Christian religion. The icon of the Mother of God brought by Arseny from Athos became the main relic of the cathedral. The best times for the temple were in the 19th century. The glory that reached the capital allowed the monks to start building a bell tower (3 floors), a cathedral with a bell tower (2 floors).
In 1704, by order of Peter 1, the construction of the city of Novaya Ladoga began, where the Volkhov River flowed into Lake Ladoga. The king's plans were to establish shipbuilding. For shipping, Lake Ladoga, as it turned out, was unsuitable, since a large number of ships perished. This was the reason for digging a canal connecting the Volkhov and Neva rivers.
The foundation of the city began on the territory of the Medvedets peninsula in the 14th century, on which the Nikolo-Medvedskaya monastery was located. To strengthen the defense capability of the territory, a wall was erected along the perimeter of the territory and an earthen rampart was dug.
Nicholas Cathedral and the Church of St. John the Evangelist have survived to this day, on the territory of which restoration work has begun. Since ancient times, the beauty that reigns in this area has attracted artists and ordinary travelers.
The building does not have an exact date of its foundation. But according to research experts, this event is approaching the turn of the XIV and XV centuries. This is one of the many women's convents, which enjoys its fame thanks to the holy source on its territory. And even in today's conditions, it is the most visited center by pilgrims.
The temple was founded on the coastal part of the Oyat River about 200 km east of St. Petersburg. The excavations of the coastal mounds made it possible to attest to the presence of Christian culture as early as the 11th century. Already in the XII-XIII centuries. for most of the local population (Karelians), Christianity became the main religion.
The Leningrad Region is large, spreading and shaped like a clover leaf. Clover brings good luck. Sometimes you drive around the region, you look - someone is lucky, a nice house, a nice car, and here's someone else. But in general, the giant shamrock lives modestly, and on the edge of the leaves, even in some kind of savagery.
Veps forest is located on the border of the region with Karelia. The place is reserved, but deaf, literally a bear's corner: with black grouses, woodpeckers and brown bears. They say there is a goblin here. They probably lie. Although in a forest with such a windbreak, anything can be found. It is difficult to drive on it - off-road, dampness, and at the beginning of summer there are also horseflies.
- Definitely there is a goblin! Last year, a man from a neighboring village went into the forest and got lost, the goblin confused him. A week later, he just came out, naked himself, crazy eyes, - local alcoholics told a secret in a rural store.
Once upon a time in these places lived the Vepsians, a small Finno-Ugric people, inclined to fishing and witchcraft. Now they are almost gone, well, maybe a few hundred. They live as in the century before last: in rickety wooden huts. Most of the houses are abandoned.
One of the most interesting Vepsian villages is Noydala. Sorcerers, shamans were called Noids. It was believed that their witchcraft was good, as opposed to witchcraft, bad. But what does "good" mean? I heard a legend that the Vepsian noids terrified the Scandinavian Vikings who appeared in these places with their sorcery. And here there was a whole village of these sorcerers.
To get to Noydala you need to drive through the forest with bears and goblin. An ordinary car will not work. In dry weather, you can try a buggy or ATV if you have one. The Vepsian forest has the best off-road in the north-west of Russia. The highest quality, hopeless, impassable.
One of the businessmen living here has a tank. More precisely, a tracked conveyor. Able to walk on mud, snow, swamp, swim on water. And roars so that not a single goblin will come close.
- Let's go to Noydalu, get inside, - the businessman called me. - Just keep in mind, in Noydal you have to behave yourself. Do not make noise, do not swear. Otherwise, the spirits will be offended.