What is business etiquette?
Etiquette is a word of French origin that appeared in the 17th-18th centuries. Three centuries have passed, but the need for rules of conduct in society and their observance remains relevant.
Naturally, the rules of etiquette did not remain unchanged and were constantly transformed in parallel with the development of society, acquiring territorial and professional characteristics.
Business etiquette is not a rule of conduct at balls and social events. Currently, this is the appearance and rules of communication with partners, investors, employees, contractors and customers. Moreover, communication is not only in person or in a team, but also in the form of telephone conversations.
Thanks to the Internet, the concept of netiquette - communication in instant messengers, social networks and by e-mail - has also emerged.
Why do you need business etiquette
Knowledge and adherence to the rules of business etiquette favorably distinguishes a person from the general mass due to the fact that he:
- Looks more well-mannered and educated;
- Demonstrates his professionalism in a business environment;
- Saves valuable time for himself and other people;
- Facilitates interaction with other people.
Business etiquette: basic rules - dress code
Often showing up for a serious meeting without a business suit is tantamount to admitting a lack of professionalism and negotiability. This can raise doubts and suspicions. To avoid unpleasant situations, use the following rules:
- Clothing for men - business suit in black, dark blue and charcoal gray.
- On rare occasions, it can be a Casual style (jeans, a jacket, plus a shirt or polo.
- Ideal when the clothes are made to order according to individual measurements
- Clothes for women - business suit in black, gray, brown.
- In rare cases, instead of trousers, there can be a pencil skirt.
- From jewelry for men, watches and cufflinks are used;
- For For women, chains, earrings and rings are acceptable from jewelry, but no more than two items at a time.
- The face of a man should be either smoothly chosen, or accurate stylish beards and mustache are allowed.
- For women, a neat one-knife manicure is important than rigorous colors or natural nails.
- makeup from the palette of calm, neutral colors.
- Shoes must be pure, even if the office or business meeting had to walk through the dirty streets. This helps a miniature sponge or shoe cleaning machines located in the lobby.
- Piercing and tattoos should not be visible.
- Women - to wear mini skirts, dresses and blouses with a deep neckline.
- men - wear a suit or shirt of bright, catchy flowers - red, yellow, orange, salad.
Business communication is the process of interaction, the purpose of which is to organize any activity (scientific, production, and so on).
Psychology of business communication
Along with business, highlight training, game, leisure communication, as well as intimate and spiritual.
However, the difference between the business conversation in the fact that it implies the exchange of information in order to achieve any result in the labor sphere.
If, for example, educational communication is carried out in order to master the study information (knowledge), the key subject of business communication is the case. That is, for such communication is characterized by limitations within one topic or a circle of problems that are business in nature and are discussed in the official, work environment.
We highlight 3 ethical principles of business communication: <
- Principle from top to bottom: This is the appeal of the head to subordinate. To maintain an authority, the head does not discuss personal topics with him, keeps the status accordingly. It is necessary to keep a distance, but do not forget about human attitude to employees, polite handling and gratitude for work.
- Horizontal principle: Communication colleague with colleague. It is important to show an equal position without demonstrating superiority. It is not necessary to be in the team, the main thing is not to be against it, to achieve mutual respect with all colleagues.
- Principle from the bottom up: the appeal of the subordinate to the head or leadership. It is preferable to establish itself as a good employee, to hold respectfully, without attempts to flatter and fake: this will not appreciate the colleagues or bosses.
Business Communication: Styles
Despite the fact that business communication is generally characterized by a working environment, in a conversation with the interlocutor you can stick to a certain line of behavior, or "style" to understand its attitude: <
- actual style of behavior. This style is intended to operate with facts, based on documented information. Such a communicator remembers everything said, so you should be pedantic so as not to be cornered.
- Intuitive style of behavior: freer and more relaxed, designed to find a creative solution to a problem in the process of proposing options.
- Normative style. It is characteristic of people who attach great importance to legal compliance. It is also necessary to show an interest in keeping order for greater mutual understanding.
- An analytical communication style shows the desire for a logical rationale for events. When communicating with such a communicator, it is worthwhile to monitor the orderliness of the dialogue and be patient.